This is an old e-mail i found.... Perhaps it will help

-------- BEGIN HERE ---------
On Friday, February 8, 2002, at 09:35 AM, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:

> How do you use it with courier-imap ?
> Because pop before smtp don't work, the user can't send a mail.

This really should be put in the FAQ. Ken, how about adding this:

Question: How do I get Courier-IMAP use vpopmail's "roaming users"?

Answer: Follow these steps

1. Make sure vpopmail is compiled with --enable-roaming-users=y
2. Courier-IMAP doesn't detect roaming users in the vpopmail library
correctly, so force it by doing something like this just before
compiling:
export CFLAGS="-DHAVE_OPEN_SMTP_RELAY"
3. compile courier-imap with --without-authdaemon --with-authvchkpw
4. Make sure you run your imap server as the same user as your pop
server (so open-smtp and tcp.smtp have the same ownership). man
couriertcpd for details, but you will change /usr/lib/courier-
imap/libexec/imapd.rc something like this:

Change this line:
/usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/couriertcpd -address=$ADDRESS \

To:
/usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/couriertcpd -address=$ADDRESS \
-user=vpopmail -group=vchkpw \

Regards,

Bill Shupp