I got paged at 3 am because sbl.spamhaus.org was not responding, causing the smtp to stall. The frustrating part is that the -t option (timeout) for rblsmtpd doesn't appear to work. Anyone taken a stab at fixing this? I'd prefer that rblsmtpd default to allow the connection if the rbl cannot be reached in x seconds.
the -t option has to go at the _end_ of the declarations, rather than at the beginning where most options go. not sure why. but works for me:

-rorbs.dorkslayers.com -rrelays.ordb.org -rrelays.visi.com -t15

will end the conversation at precisely fifteen seconds if it's not complete by then.

Paul Theodoropoulos
http://www.anastrophe.com
http://folding.stanford.edu
The Nicest Misanthrope on the Net