I'm thinking to a new solution, modifying qmailadmin as follows.

A unique ".qmailmaildirsize" should be created in the domain, and every user should have his own "maildirsize" linked by an "ln -sf" to the domain's ".qmailmaildirsize".

\domain
\domain\.qmailmaildirsize [global]
\domain\user1\Maildir\maildirsize --> ..\..\.maildirsize [-> global]
\domain\user2\Maildir\maildirsize --> ..\..\.maildirsize [-> global]
\domain\user3\Maildir\maildirsize --> ..\..\.maildirsize [-> global]
\domain\user4\Maildir\maildirsize [alone]
\domain\user5\Maildir\maildirsize [alone]

Each user using the domain quota should have the same quota (equal to the domain quota itself).

Users with own quota don't use this mechanism and have their private "maildirsize".

The only major add should be a routine to recheck the "domain's global usage" when domain's ".qmailmaildirsize" is created (or recreated after deletion), counting only users working with global "maildirsize".

Main problem I see could be the lock on the global ".maildirsize", domains (with global quota) with thousands of very active users could slow down on receiving messages.

All that should work with a very few modifications (none in vdeliver, vpopmail, etc., only a few in qmailadmin).

Tonino