At 03:38 AM 9/11/2003, Martin Horsley wrote:
Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
you could get away with two stages - run a spam filtering smtpd on an alternate port on your vpopmail server - i use port 26 - then you can use smtproutes on the primary/secondary MX to feed to the different ports, eg:
iwantspam.com:myvpopmailserver.com:25
idontwantspam.com:myvpopmailserver.com:26

Thanks Paul, this does seem to be the most likely way. Could you give me some pointers on how I would go about getting another version of qmail-smtpd to listen on a different port?

I use supervise scripts to launch qmail. Do I need to add an additional supervise script and add the listening port in some manner? Or, do I need to recompile qmail?

easiest method by far is to use Tetsu Ushimima's qmail-conf package - http://www.din.or.jp/~ushijima/qmail-conf.html

then the invocation i used was:

qmail-smtpd-conf qmaild qmaill /var/qmail/service/smtpd-sa

to indicate 'smtpd SpamAssassin', but you can call it whatever you want. since i also run a *third* smtpd for customers who are on networks that block outbound port 25, i also run one called smtpd-2525, which is the alternate port i offer those customers to use to bypass the blocking.

after qmail-conf has built the structure, go into /var/qmail/service/smtpd-sa/env, then

echo 26 > PORT

or again, whatever port you choose to use. then complete the rest of the steps for setting up the service, and you're in business.

Paul Theodoropoulos http://www.anastrophe.com