Quoting Erik Bourget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Sorry to not answer your question, but you raise a pet peeve of mine wrt
> vpopmail -
>
> Tim Hasson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > So I manually updated the cur_users rows to reflect the actual number of
> > users in each domain row, and the numbers of domains managed by vpopmail
> in
> > the dom_500 row.
> >
> > Is that OK?
>
> dir_control is a horrible black art and one should never mess around with
> it.  It decided where new directories are made,
> i.e. /domains/foo.bar.net/8/K/z/erik.

I know that. That's why I only changed the cur_users because it was already
messed up since the migration for the domains migrated. Newly added domains
showed the expected increment/decrement behavior when domains/users were
added/deleted.  So I just basically updated the cur_users for the ones that
were off (or way off), period. I guess if it worked for my primary domain with
cur_users set to _2 BILLION_ , it'll work when it's only like 15 (15 users in
that domain).

> What in the universe is the point of a __SEVENTEEN COLUMN__ table to
> represent this information?

I agree.

> No, vpopmail (and I'm really sorry to rant here but I hate vpopmail's
> mysql database layout) uses the pw_uid for nothing at all and pw_gid to
> store
> FLAGS ON AN ACCOUNT.  A gid of 1024 means something, like 'don't allow pop
> access' or 'bounce all mail to this account'.

That sucks.

What if you want to add a domain with a unique uid that's different from
vpopmail's uid ? (for os quota enforcement/security etc..)
Do you have to always consult assign/users to get the uid for a domain or
user? Then what is the point of the mysql auth module?

Also, this would be a perfect place to store the uid/gid of the user, if you
wanted to have an option -u username/uid to vadduser just like vadddomain (I
guess you would also need a -d ~userhome option so it would work) or even if
you have multiple domains that run under a different uid/gid each.

For the above mentioned reasons, by intiuition, I would think that the pw_uid
and pw_gid would at least reflect the same uid/gid in assign/users - if not
even to offer a unique uid per user option.

> > The reason why I am concerned is I am looking in using maildrop for
> delivery
> > and since it supports mysql, I can have it read the users home directly
> from
> > the vpopmail database instead of running `vuserinfo -d [EMAIL PROTECTED] from a
> > mailfilter script.  From maildropmysql.conf :
> >
> > # UIDNUMBER_FIELD - MySQL attribute which contains the system uid to
> deliver
> > # mail as
> > uidnumber_field         uidnumber
> >
> > # GIDNUMBER_FIELD - MySQL attribute which contains the system gid to
> deliver
> > # mail as
> > gidnumber_field         gidnumber
>
> Maildrop will become very upset if the uid and gid are not the same as the
> 500:500 that you have in qmail-local.  Maildrop's MySQL support is not
> one-to-one with vpopmail's MySQL support.  Do as you remarked before and set
> default_uidnumber and default_gidnumber to 500.
>

>From my pervious comments above, you should now understand why I wanted to
link the uidnumber_field and gidnumber_field from maildrop with vpopmail's
pw_uid and pw_gid fields.

> > Any information, clarifications, suggestions, experiences, or ideas would
> be
> > greatly appreciated.
>
> Use my maildrop MySQL rule filtering patch!  vdelivermail is a relic! :)

I am not up to speed with you on offering delivery-level-filtering with
maildrop to end users quite yet.  So for now, they'll have to stick with IMP's
webmail filters for moving messages around at login.

However, I do use maildrop filters to invoke spamc and scan mail for spam then
look for SPAM keyword in the message header, and if it's marked as spam,
deliver it to user/Maildir/.BulkMail , else deliver to
user/Maildir

This is enabled for only one domain from it's .qmail-default file.

However, since you mentioned in your earlier email that you have the maildrop
maildir autocreation patch seperated, please direct me to it.

I guess for now as a workaround for vpopmail's table pw_name and pw_domain
incompatibility with maildrop's single uid_field, I can create a new column,
and call it 'pw_email' for example and on mysql do:

UPDATE vpopmail SET pw_email = CONCAT(pw_name, '@', pw_domain);

and set uid_field in maildropmysql.conf to 'pw_email'

And also set the other stuff (like the userhome_field etc.) should be ok.

> - Erik Bourget

Respectfully,
Tim Hasson