On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 11:18, Doug Clements wrote:
> Ken Jones wrote:
> > I was wondering where the best place to put a
> > domain wide enable/disable flag for spamassassin would be.
> > What do you folks think?
> >
> > The idea would be to have a file checked by vdelivermail.
> > If spam assassin is enabled, vdelivermail calls spamc
> > before dropping the email into the users Maildir.
> > Then the setup would be backwardly compatible with
> > current sites. And they could enable/disable spam assassin
> > by just updating the configuration file.
>
> Instead of checking for a file, why not use the extra space in the vpopmail
> gecos fields to store spam settings for that user?
This'd be awesome as a place to store the boolean controlling whether we
call spam assassin or not.
> I've already got a bunch
> of files hanging around in each home directory (hopefully less if this
> spamassassin integration works).
>
> Another thing to consider is where to put the spam. Some of our users like
> it to go to the Trash folder, some like it to go to the Spam folder. This
> should be customizable somehow for vdelivermail.
This makes more sense to use something like Maildrop for. Why reinvent
the wheel when you can easily use Maildrop to check the spam status and
then deliver where you want?

> Actually, now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't even use the
> vdelivermail integration for spamassassin. I already call a .qmail file to
> do all the maildrop filtering and everything that vdelivermail can't do, so
> there's no need to spawn another vdelivermail just to filter spam when I can
> call spamc from maildrop.
I like being able to toggle spamassassin above maildrop, because calling
maildrop is heavier than checking something you've already pulled from a
database. I personally have users who have maildrop without
spamassassin, spamassassin without maildrop, and both. This way I can
call just those pieces I need.
> I still think the setting should go in a gecos
> field though :)
>
> --Doug
Also, any idea how quickly we could see versions of this? I'm on the
cusp of deploying a spamassassin integrated setup to my users, and
this'd allow me to streamline it and make it more reliable, so I'd be
very interested in helping make this work (either through testing or
code or ideas or moral support or whatever).
--
Nicholas harring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Webley Systems, Inc.