We're setting up a smart-host mail router to just handle qmail scanning. The mail will then go to the appropriate mailserver where spam filtering will be done and the mail dropped into vpopmail accounts.

We get about 50-60K spam emails per day that are addressed to real domains but non-existent users. We need to be able to reject emails to non-existent users at the entry to the smart host mail router so that we don't waste time virus scanning them or delivering them to the mailservers. The checkuser patch has the functionality to accomplish this as long as we setup a mirror of vpopmail on the smart-host mail router. So we'll use the checkuser patch and setup domains and users with vpopmail on the smart host mail router so that we can reject email to non-existent users. We'll write some programs to keep vpopmail on the smart-host mail router in sync with the vpopmails on the mailservers.

Of course if the checkuser patch could consult a mysql database instead it would be cleaner but gotta live with what we have. If anyone has a better solution let me know.