Rick,

> François Wautier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Duly noting the near absolute lack of interest in my previous email (Only
> > Devendra Singh  responded indicating he had the same problem),  I decided
> > to go and figure out things my way.
>
> Good job.  I use CDB, and don't know enough about using MySQL with
> vpopmail to find something like that.  Unless someone objects I plan to
> put this in HEAD, and suggest it go into the stable branch too.
>
> I like the fact that this patch separates hard errors from soft errors,
> checking first if it can open the database connection at all and
> aborting on failure.  It works well with the changes in error handling
> that I am working on.

I thought it made sense too.

> I wish I understood the base problem better, I don't know if we are just
> covering up a database problem.

Could be... but is unlikely.

>> You are sure you aren't running out of
> MySQL children at peak loads, right?  Being on the border of having too
> many requests for the number of MySQL children allowed could cause what
> you are seeing.

I don't really have any load to speak of. And if the problem was that, I think
the client would not connect, not report "Lost connection to MySQL server
during query".

I would also get more complains from the websites not being able to get the
data.

In any case, my simplistic patch  does handle that type of problem better.

Cheers,
        François