Im running it on debian testing and I just compiled courier-imap myself,
at the time the version I used was courier-imap-3.0.3

I used the following ./configure line to get it setup.

./configure --without-authpwd --without-authshadow --without-authpam \
--without-authuserdb --without-authcram --without-authldap \
--without-authmysql --without-authpgsql --without-authcustom \
--without-authdaemon --disable-root-check \
--enable-workarounds-for-imap-client-bugs

After that I was able to change the lines you mentioned below and had it
all working. Has been running well for a quite a few months now.

cheers
Shane