"First time poster" Have mercy on the neophyte!

Can anyone point me to the right documentation source for properly configuring vpopmail+qmail so that doublebounces don't hang in the queue?

My son had been managing this system, but got too busy, so I have to come up to speed just as Comcast decided that all the SPAM bouncing back out of our system was SPAM originating from our system, and quit allowing us to relay through their server.

Originally, to mollify the ISPs that refuse mail from floating IPs, we had smtproutes set thusly:

:SMTP.Comcast.Net

Fine, until they got tired of processing the SPAM bounces.

So, I peeled smtproutes back to:

AOL.Com:SMTP.Comcast.Net

...so that at least the AOL mail from us would get delivered.

Our server hosts several very small domains: TS5.Com, TS4.Com, and Christy9.Com. The system ME is mail.ts5.com.

I noticed after removing Comcast as the relay that the queue began filling with doublebounces, addressed to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", and the log indicated tons of entries like this:

@4000000041372d553b41077c new msg 3794941
@4000000041372d553b410b64 info msg 3794941: bytes 11149 from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 13481 uid 507
@4000000041372d5601445164 starting delivery 81338: msg 3794941 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
@4000000041372d5601446cbc status: local 0/10 remote 2/20
@4000000041372d560fc141ac delivery 81338: deferral: Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/
@4000000041372d560fc160ec status: local 0/10 remote 1/20
@4000000041372d580f829a9c starting delivery 81339: msg 3794751 to remote [EMAIL PROTECTED]
@4000000041372d580f82b5f4 status: local 0/10 remote 2/20
@4000000041372d581900bfcc delivery 81339: deferral: Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/
@4000000041372d581900db24 status: local 0/10 remote 1/20
@

So, vpopmail knows that ts5.com is a local domain, but when the doublebounce is generated, it is treating [EMAIL PROTECTED] as a remote address. Am I reading that right?

(below: I have redacted the name of the relay server we are using, not because it is in any way an open relay -- it isn't, we run it, too -- but because the customer wants to remain private)

I temporarily worked around the problem by adding first the entry "TS5.Com:SMTP.*****.Net" to smtproutes: no effect.
Then I added "mail.TS5.Com:SMTP.*****.Net", and the queue began to empty, but sent all the doublebounces to the default account "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" instead of to postmaster.

Obviously I don't understand all the flow here, but would sure appreciate it if someone could point me to (1) the right documentation to cover this, and (2) an appropriate patch to vpopmail+qmail to avoid such heavy SPAM issues, like a SMTP-time bounce that works with vpopmail, or other technique that works more effectively than receiving all the bad mail, then generating bounce messages for them.

'Cause I know sending doublebounces out to another qmail server, and back again, ain't the way it should be done!

Tom Harrison

***** qmail-showctl *****

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# ./qmail-showctl -?
qmail home directory: /var/qmail.
user-ext delimiter: -.
paternalism (in decimal): 2.
silent concurrency limit: 120.
subdirectory split: 23.
user ids: 501, 502, 503, 0, 504, 505, 506, 507.
group ids: 501, 502.

badmailfrom: (Default.) Any MAIL FROM is allowed.

bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.

bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is mail.ts5.com.

concurrencylocal: (Default.) Local concurrency is 10.

concurrencyremote: (Default.) Remote concurrency is 20.

databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.

defaultdomain: Default domain name is mail.ts5.com.

defaulthost: (Default.) Default host name is mail.ts5.com.

doublebouncehost: (Default.) 2B recipient host: mail.ts5.com.

doublebounceto: (Default.) 2B recipient user: postmaster.

envnoathost: (Default.) Presumed domain name is mail.ts5.com.

helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is mail.ts5.com.

idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is mail.ts5.com.

localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes mail.ts5.com.

locals:

me: My name is mail.ts5.com.

percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.

plusdomain: Plus domain name is mail.ts5.com.

qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.

queuelifetime: Message lifetime in the queue is 86400 seconds.

rcpthosts:
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at ts5.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at ts4.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at christy9.com.

morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.

morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.

smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 mail.ts5.com.

smtproutes:
SMTP route: aol.com:SMTP.*****.Net
SMTP route: ts5.com:SMTP.*****.Net
SMTP route: mail.ts5.com:SMTP.*****.Net

timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.

timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.

timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.

virtualdomains:
Virtual domain: ts5.com:ts5.com
Virtual domain: ts4.com:ts4.com
Virtual domain: christy9.com:christy9.com
Virtual domain: mail.ts5.com:ts5.com

defaultdelivery: I have no idea what this file does.

concurrencyincoming: I have no idea what this file does.

rcpthosts.lock: I have no idea what this file does.

virtualdomains.lock: I have no idea what this file does.

locals.lock: I have no idea what this file does.