On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:43:58PM +0200, Tijs Zwinkels wrote:
> Probably your /var/vpopmail/etc/vpopmail.mysql isn't readable by the
> user the apache-server runs under.

Thank you all very much for your help!

It certainly does seem to be something to do with permissions but I'm
not sure what. If I run the program from the command line as the
www-data user (which is the user Apache runs as) then it fails in the
same way.

However, the www-data user can read ~vpopmail/etc/vpopmail.mysql
(www-data is a member of the vchkpw group and the file permissions are
set to 640) and valias_insert() and valias_remove() work fine (both of
which access and modify the database as my aliases are stored in the
MySQL database.)

I thought maybe it was something to do with the permissions in the
~vpopmail/domains directory but they are all set to be group readable
and writable so www-data should be able to change them as necessary.

As a temporary solution my program is owned by root:www-data with the
permissions set to 04750 but I'd like to work out what is going on if
possible. MySQL access works fine, is there anything else that
vauth_getpw() needs access to that might be causing the problem?

(Incidentally, this is not a public server - I am the only person who
can run CGI programs on it.)

Thank you all for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

--
Charles Collicutt