On Saturday 01 July 2006 11:56, aichains wrote:
> they dont "have to", match, but the uid's and gid's should match, unless
> you dont mind going through and fixing permissions...
>
> as long as they do, then you can add the --perms argument to rsync
> (along with other args), and it will move stuff over for you.
>
> http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

I generally use -Wav as my rsync args... and -z if it's going over a remote
link (on local-local the gzip overhead isn't worth the trouble ;)

> also, if you are doing a hard cut-over of IPs, then tar would probably
> be quicker. you can pipe tar over ssh even...

however, rsync would allow him to do an 'initial migration' to get over the
bulk of the data, then when he's ready to switch, do a final rsync and make
the switch.  This allows for a smaller window of downtime.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Kitchen ++ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.pirate-party.us/ -- defend your rights