tcpserver uses one CDB file- that being a compiled database in CDB format with the keys (domains) and their values.

Whichever file is in your -x parameter for tcpserver is the one that is used.  The other is not used at all by your SMTP server.

Given that, vpopmail has a neat feature of POP-before-SMTP which adds IPs of authenticated users into a file called 'open-smtp', often in the ~vpopmail/etc folder.  After writing to this file, it then wants to put the list of IPs into your CDB file.  It includes the original CDB, and generates and appends the lines as it places them into the CDB file.

This is where " --enable-tcpserver-file=PATH   File where tcpserver -x relay information is stored /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp." comes in in vpopmail configuration.  vpopmail takes in this file, appends the lines it would from open-smtp, and then outputs a cdb file, if --enable-roaming-users is enabled.  That CDB file is exactly what you entered when you configured vpopmail, with the addition of .cdb.

So to recap:
 - tcpserver uses what you specify on the -x parameter
 - vpopmail takes etc/open-smtp, combines it with the value of enable-tcpserver-file
 - vpopmail outputs enable-tcpserver-file's value + '.cdb' onto the end of it
 - IN THEORY, and for a properly working roaming users setup, tcpserver's -x paramter should point to enable-tcpserver-file's value + '.cdb'.

If you don't use roaming users, put the tcpserver's -x file wherever you want, and that'll be what will be used, as vpopmail does not affect it.

-M

uro jotne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I had to put the 196.168.2 (the LAN) in /etc/tcp.smtp. However, I still have 172.16.0 (DMZ, where the mail server is) in /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp. Now it works, but I would sleep better if I understood how vpopmail uses the two files /etc/tcp.smtp and /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp. I mistakenly thought that /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp overroled /etc/tcp.smtp, but apparently it doesn't. I woluld be thankful if somebody in the know would care to explain how the two files are related.
Best regards.