Which doesn't use /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw, which would explain why POP3-SSL connections aren't being added to the database.

use sslserver as ssl wrapper around tcpserver (part of http:// www.superscript.com/ucspi-ssl/intro.html. Then you still use vpopmail and popbeforesmtp works. You can use sslserver also to provide ssmtp/ smtps.

So my question should then be: How to get Courier SSL connections to pass the connect message to vpopmail? I assume this is an issue for IMAP and IMAP-SSL users as well.

as far as I know this was depreciated because SMTP-AUTH was considered the way to go. I have no solution for this. We only offer popbeforesmtp and no imapbeforesmtp (that is not as trivial as it looks).

cheers
andrej