Joshua,

I think this is a worthwhile endeavour for many of the reasons you
discuss below, as well as one more.  It makes linking applications
such as courier-authlib much easier.  I recently ran into trouble with
this under NetBSD-i386.  I did not know of a historical patch, I have
not been with vpopmail for long.  I ended up tweaking the build of
vpopmail-5.4.20 to create the shared library.  I also notice on this
OS that separate from this, the binaries are building as dynamically
linked.  I would definitely provide the option to build static; I
don't see a real need to do so selectively for different binaries.  As
regards performance, I am not qualified to speak but I doubt we would
see much difference.  Most modern operating systems are built on
shared libs.  Thanks to all for the hard work you do on vpopmail, it
is an impressive package.

-Len