Quey wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> It is nice to use Slackware because it doesn't do funky stuff with
>> software. qmail installs fairly easily and fits in decently well. Oh, it
>> also works great on slower hardware because you can strip services to
>> the bare essentials easily and thus leave more resources for the actual
>> functions it needs to do.
>>

> and boots in 1/8th of the time RHES/CentOS does :)

Likely because RH actively probes for new hardware on every boot and
also launches a bunch of processes. While you can cut all that out and
make it boot fast, it takes a lot of work.

>> The only downside to Slackware is that it doesn't use PAM, so you need
>> to make local login accounts. Personally, I don't like PAM (it has had
>> many security issues in the past) and qmail doesn't use it, so it isn't
>> a big thing. Also, Slackware doesn't hold your hand on dependencies, but
>> if you are a decent system administrator, you shouldn't have problems
>> with that.
>>

> Eh? for what do you create local login accounts?

I follow the rule that one should never log in directly as root. In this
case, you need at least one mortal local account as an initial login.

 - Michael

!DSPAM:472e589f32001838832398!