see http://qmail.jms1.net/backup.shtml ... explained in full.

> I suppose I should overwrite
> /home/vpopmail and /var/qmail fully with my backed up version?

no. the web page explains exactly what needs to be backed up and
restored. the backup scripts i run on my own server and my clients'
servers use this list, and i've actually done several recoveries (from
dead hard drives and dead servers) where nothing was lost except new
mail which arrived after the most recent backup.

> but this
> couldn't cause later problems with courier-imap compiled binaries? because
> they're compiled with just have installed vpopmail libraries and not with
> backed ones?

when courier-imap (or more specifically, courier-authlib) is compiled,
it is STATICALLY linked with libvpopmail.a. this means that the
"libvpopmail.a" file needs to be in place while courier-authlib is being
compiled, but it doesn't need to be there (or it doesn't need to be the
exact same version) when it's running.

one of the design goals of vpopmail 6 is to have a dynamic library. when
this happens, and if courier-authlib is changed so it uses the dynamic
library, the libvpopmail.so file will need to be in place for
courier-authlib's "authdaemond" process to run.

however, minor updates to the libvpopmail.so file (re-compiles, minor
upgrades to fix bugs, etc... things which don't change the API) will
still allow authdaemond (and other programs which dynamically link
against the library) to work correctly. the whole point of dynamic
libraries is that the functions in the library are found by name at
run-time, rather than having an explicit address or "function number" be
hard-coded into the executable.

| John M. Simpson    ---   KG4ZOW   ---    Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173 |

!DSPAM:4734151f32001120524880!