________________________________
From: Christopher Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:57:09 -0600
To: <vchkpw@inter7.com>
Conversation: [vchkpw] OT - Preferred File Systems
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] OT - Preferred File Systems

Ed McLain wrote:
> XFS.. I'm addicted and will freely admit it.
>
> We ran some benchmarks a while back between EXT3, XFS, JFS, and ReiserFS with
> both qmail and mysql.  While MySQL didn't care much, qmail was able to
> deliver between 10,000 and 20,000 messages per minute more on XFS than either
> other option.  Also, having had to recover data from all filesystems listed
> due to hardware or other failures, XFS has been the most reliable and easiest
> to recover.  Reiser and EXT3 were the worst.  Just my .02.

XFS has the most aggressive data caching schemes of all the filesystems
available for Linux. Are you sure it is the most reliable and the most
recoverable? I have always found files stuffed with nulls on a xfs
filesystem after a crash or a power cut. Never a completely corrupt
filesystem but definitely zero data recovery for freshly created files
just prior to crashing. That is notwithstanding xfs shutting itself down
for no apparent reason (the box did not crash, no disk errors in logs,
etc) which may be resolved by remounting or a reboot but in some cases,
a repair was needed.

!DSPAM:476c5625310545200813374!