Yes - dynamically configured slots is on the roadmap - somewhere... :)

Since the vmx file is being built at load time, the place holder is there. Just need to fill in the part where the provisioning modules analyzes the available capacity of the hypervisor server, the image profile needs, and maybe even the requesting user's past usage of requested image(if feasible).

-A

--On April 9, 2009 2:23:11 PM -0400 Wayne Schildhauer <wschi...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

Thanks Aaron.

I have not looked at the code extensively.  However, it seems like the
slot value would be interesting as well at that point.  (You can tell
that was the first thing at which we looked.)  I am not sure if that
could be pulled in or if it is appropriate to do so.

Having said that, I hope pre-configured slots go away at some point.  :-)

Wayne F. Schildhauer
IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park, NC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Aaron Peeler" <aaron_pee...@ncsu.edu>
To: <vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, 09 April, 2009 13:01
Subject: Re: xp image power on fail

Also that might be an improvement for the esx.pm to set the default to
512MB if it's less than 512. Created JIRA issue VCL-130
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-130>

here's the snippet from the vmware.pm module. It's not perfect(doesn't
account for assigning too much ram) but it might help:

# check for memory settings
my $dynamicmemvalue = "512";
if (defined($vmclient_imageminram)) {
# preform some sanity check
if (($dynamicmemvalue < $vmclient_imageminram) && ($vmclient_imageminram
<  $vmhost_RAM)) {
$dynamicmemvalue = $vmclient_imageminram;
notify($ERRORS{'OK'}, 0, "setting memory to $dynamicmemvalue");
}
else {
notify($ERRORS{'WARNING'}, 0, "image memory value $vmclient_imageminram
out of the expected range in host machine $vmhost_RAM setting to 512");
}
}

--On April 9, 2009 12:41:33 PM -0400 Wayne Schildhauer