No virtual center is not required in any way for ESX 3i. When you say you're installing it for a month, do you mean you've downloaded the ESX3i .iso installer from vmware, burned it to a CD, and am installing it from the CD? ESX 3i has to be installed manually today, VCL cannot "deploy" the ESX 3i hypervisor onto bare metal through any provisioning technique (xcat, esx, etc ...).

xcat isn't well suited to managing ESX resources. This is why the ESX provisioning module (esx.pm) was written to use the VMware API to drive VMware resources (ESX and ESX 3i). Are you using the esx.pm module?

Best,
Brian

Brian Bouterse
Secure Open Systems Initiative