This is an update on VCL-291. I have made the changes to all of the relevant files except for esxthin.pm and committed them. I didn't want to touch esxthin.pm in case Brian is working on it. The changes are currently being tested/used in NCSU's production implementation and I have not seen any issues so far. Having the OS modules check for SSH after an image is loaded is working better. This is done by OS.pm::wait_for_response(). Version_6.pm also implements its own wait_for_response() which accounts for longer times needed by Vista/2008.

The subroutine suggested by Sean to perform multiple attempts of running code has been implemented as Module.pm::code_loop_timeout(). It takes arguments of: a code reference, arguments to be passed to the code, message string to be displayed in the log output, total seconds to attempt to run the code, seconds between attempts. It runs the code reference until it returns true or the timeout is reached. If the code reference returns false, it waits the specified number of seconds and tries again. This is used by wait_for_ssh(), wait_for_ping(), and wait_for_no_ping() in OS.pm.

Brian - the changes for esxthin.pm are minor. In load(), remove the SSH checking section and replace it with a call to $os->post_load(). This code can be copied from one of the other provisioning modules. I can go ahead and do this but I don't have a way of testing it.

-Andy

Andy Kurth wrote:
I think having the provisioning modules call post_load() will allow for the greatest flexibility. Since it shouldn't be much of an imposition and matches how capture() works, I'll work on coding the following changes:

-call to $os->post_load() removed from new.pm
-call to $os->post_load() added to each provisioning module's load() sub
-code removed in provisioning modules which waits for computer to respond
-code which waits for the computer to respond added to each OS module's post_load() sub

After thinking about it, I don't see the need for new.pm to do any looping. It should call the provisioning module's load() sub once and check the return value. The provisioning modules can implement repeated attempts as necessary within the load() sub.

It is useful the $os->post_load() to know if it's being run for the first time or a repeat attempt. It could increase its timeouts if it's a repeated attempt. I will have the provisioning modules pass it the attempt number.

A looping subroutine would be useful in many cases. Good idea. It may be better to create such a sub in Module.pm so that all types of modules have access to it. I'm thinking of creating a sub which you pass a code reference and some timeout parameters. It attempts to run the code until it returns true up until the timeout is reached.

Thanks,
Andy

Sean Dilda wrote:
I don't think having $provisioning->load() call $os->post_load() would be such an imposition. However, if you want to have multiple attempts at $os->post_load() as was mentioned in an earlier email, it'd be nice to have a function defined in the OS module to do that looping.

I haven't used the xCAT module.  What does makesshgkh do?

--
Andy Kurth
Virtual Computing Lab