VCL creates VMs in either persistent or nonpersistent mode depending on
whether you made an imaging reservation.

If you click on "New Reservation" to create a normal, non-imaging
reservation, the VM gets created in nonpersistent mode.  This allows the
large .vmdk files to be shared by multiple VMs to save space.  The downside
is that changes to the hard drive are lost if the VM is rebooted.  The .vmdk
files reside in a directory named after the image name:
"vmwarewinxp-base7-v1".  The .vmx and other files specific to the VM reside
in a directory named after the image name, with the VM computer name
appended: "vmwarewinxp-base7-v1vmguest-
1".

If you click on "Manage Images", the VM gets created in persistent mode.
 The VM has sole possession of the .vmdk files, changes are written to the
.vmdk files directly, and changes persist if the VM is rebooted.  The .vmdk
and .vmx files reside in a directory named after the request ID and VM
comptuer name (I think): "1234vmguest-1".

You'll have to view the vcld.log file to figure out what's going wrong with
normal reservations.  Run 'vmware-cmd -l' on the VM host after the normal
reservation is loaded to list the registered VMs.  Do you see one pointing
to the .vmx file in the vmwarewinxp-base7-v1vmguest-1 directory?  This list
should coincide with the VMs you see on the GUI VMware console.

If you don't see the VM registered, find the section in vcld.log where it
registers the VM.  There should be a command like 'vmware-cmd -s register
<.vmx path>".

Hope this helps,
Andy
- Показване на цитирания текст -

Kalina Spasova wrote:

> [...]
>> following lines:
>> ipconfiguration=static
>> DNSserver=<IP address>
>> GATEWAY=<IP address>
>>
>> VCL will manually assign the value in computer.ipaddress after an image is
>> loaded if you configure vcld.conf this way.  If you use DHCP for your
>> public
>> addresses, then ipconfiguration should be set to  dynamicDHCP.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean regarding the passwords and the RDP file.
>>  Since
>> reservation 31 is never completely loaded, you would not have an RDP file
>> for that reservation.  Are you referring to the RDP file and password you
>> used when the image was captured?  If so, then this will certainly not
>> work.
>>  You can disregard any password given out in the connection info page or
>> RDP
>> file once that previous reservation is done.
>>
>> When an image is captured, VCL sets the password of the root and
>> Administrator accounts in the image to the value configured in the
>> vcld.conf
>> file.  After the image comes up and SSHD responds, VCL then assigns a
>> random
>> password to theses accounts.  You can figure out what this random password
>> is by finding the section where it gets set in the vcld.log file.
>>
>> Since SSHD never responds for reservation 31, the passwords are never
>> randomized and an additional account for the reservation is never added to
>> the machine. The passwords for root and Administrator should be the value
>> set in vcld.conf. If this isn't working, view the vcld.log output when the
>> image was captured. The passwords get set pretty early on.  It should show
>> what they were set to.
>>
>>  And one last question during the capture the output says that the
>>
>>> reservation remote IP is not defined. where should I define it?
>>>

>>> 20:04:55|7360|32:32|reserved|DataStructure.pm:get_reservation_remote_ip(956)|reservation
>>> remote IP is not defined
>>>
>>> And this goes on and on for a long time
>>>
>>>  You never have to set this.  The remote IP is the IP of the machine you
>> are
>> connecting to the VM from.  It gets collected when you click on "Connect"
>> from the web page.  The output you have included below shows this to be
>> working correctly.  The "reservation remote IP is not defined" loop stops
>> when you click Connect.  As shown below, it retrieved your IP and then
>> proceeded:
>>

>> 20:08:55|7360|32:32|reserved|DataStructure.pm:get_reservation_remote_ip(969)|retrieved
>>
>>> remote IP for reservation 32: 195.194.252.26
>>>
>>>  Everything else looks correct, it then proceeds to loop until you
>> connect
>> via RDP:
>>

>>  2010-03-15 20:08:58|7360|32:32|reserved|reserved.pm:
>>
>>> process(376)|forimaging
>>> flag is set to 1 and imageosname is vmwarewinxp, checking for connection
>>> administrator
>>> 2010-03-15 20:08:58|7360|32:32|reserved|utils.pm:
>>> check_connection(1765)|checking
>>> for connection by administrator on vmguest-2, attempt 1
>>> 2010-03-15 20:08:58|7360|32:32|reserved|utils.pm:
>>> run_ssh_command(6180)|executing
>>> SSH command on vmguest-2:
>>> vmguest-2 'netstat -an' 2>&1
>>> 2010-03-15 20:09:19|7360|32:32|reserved|utils.pm:
>>> check_connection(1765)|checking
>>> for connection by administrator on vmguest-2, attempt 2

--
Andy Kurth
Virtual Computing Lab