Ryan is correct. The root account is a normal Windows account in the Administrators group. The instructions/scripts do apply to all versions of Windows.

You can create the root account via the GUI or run:
net user root /ADD
net user root <password>
net localgroup Administrators root /ADD

Once the account is created, logout and login as root. Follow the steps on this page:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4589006

I would uninstall Cygwin and reinstall it per the instructions since your image had it preinstalled. I don't think there is an uninstaller. You can just delete C:\cygwin. Also, it's important to be logged in as root whenever Cygwin SSHD is configured so that the permissions and ownership get configured correctly.

-Andy

Brian Copcea wrote:
Hi Ryan-

Thanks for writing.  Those scripts should have been run, but I can't say
for sure that everything was done (I configured this a while back and
thought I had been thorough but obviously wasn't somewhere!).

We'll check that definitely, but I think the problems is due to having a
pre-installed and pre-configured Cygwin that came with the image we
inherited to use, and trying to get the proper users, permissions and ssh
configuration set.

Sincerely,

Brian Copcea
IBM WSTI Intern