Hi Alex & VCL folks,

I suspect that some folks may prefer to share detailed information off list due
to concerns about publically documenting their compliance approach.

We have been grappling with OS and application licenses with regard to our
Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) pilot (we are not using Apache VCL
in production). While there are some differences between RDS and VDI licensing,
the challenges are similar.

Our experience has been that software vendors fall into a few basic camps with
regard to virtual licensing:

·         Those vendors who don’t have a virtual licensing mechanism and need
to be educated about the use case in order to work out an
agreement/understanding.

·         Those vendors who understand the virtual use case and may have
documented licensing stipulations.

·         Those vendors who have robust licensing policies and mechanisms
(network license managers, multiple license types, etc).

On the Microsoft OS side, it took a sit down meeting with our MS Sales Engineer
to understand their licensing schema for VDI and RDS. In a nutshell this is
what we walked away with:

  *   Staff or faculty member running a Windows OS on a University computer
connecting to a VDI based Windows VM = Covered under campus agreement, no
additional cost
  *   Staff or faculty member running a NON-Windows OS (MacOSX, Linux, Thin OS)
on a University computer connecting to a VDI based Windows VM = Covered under
campus agreement, no additional cost
  *   Student on a University computer (Windows, MacOSX, Linux, Thin OS)
connecting to a VDI based Windows VM = Special agreement needed: roughly
$5/student over FTE population or "fenced" population (as negotiated by campus
and Microsoft).
  *   Staff or faculty member on a University computer (Windows, MacOSX, Linux,
Thin OS) connecting to a RDS session = Per User or Per Computer CAL required
  *   Student on a University computer (Windows, MacOSX, Linux, Thin OS)
connecting to a RDS session = External Connector License (per RDS server)
  *   Student on a home computer (Windows, MacOSX, Linux, Thin OS) connecting
to a RDS session = External Connector License (per RDS server)

After looking at a number of License Management applications, we settled on
Sassafras K2 (http://www.sassafras.com) based upon the cross platform
capabilities (we envision it being used beyond our RDS offering) and resounding
recommendations from a lengthy list of other universities. We are early in our
implementation, but I can attest that it is a very capable and mature product.

Best,

alex

Alex Keller
Systems Administrator
Academic Technology, San Francisco State University
☛Burk Hall 155 ☎ (415)338-6117 ✉alkel...@sfsu.edu<mailto:alkel...@sfsu.edu>