Hi,

Any tips for versioning email with git? Does git work well for email? I
thought it might perform badly on the two extremes that email presents:
one big file (mbox) or one big folder with lots of small files in it
(maildir). I guess you would always want to do 'git add . ; git commit
-a;' to avoid having to manually add, rm and commit individual files. I
think you might want to somehow auto-generate commit messages for email
too.

I can't comment on git for my homedir, because I use hg for that, but I do
use git for my email.
Git performs very well on my maildir (~29,000 messages, 754MB) - right
now, I have a little script that is called from cron on my server that
adds, removes, and commits every so often. Sync generally takes at most
10/15 seconds.
The reason I used git for my mail (instead of hg) is that git is just
plain faster for this.
--
-vs