covert covert a écrit :
> My question is what CPU should I chose for good noise reducing , heat
> reducing solutions.

The most efficient CPU are still the VIA ones... Low power, very low
heat, very low noise.
There are lots of EPIA mobos (Mini-ITX for factor) with fanless CPUs
around. With these, you get only one PCI slot, but everything is
integrated on the motherboard.
Using a good laptop-like power block (efficient and fanless), you can
have a really silent setup (one slow fan for the whole system).

> For processing power and cost I am looking at AMD AM2 4000 and Intel
> Duel Core E2140 and Intel core2 Duo E4400. I am open to other
> suggestions as long as they can currently be purchased in store.
>
> Since the system will be spending 95% of it's time idle I want a CPU
> that can drop down to the slowest possible clock speed with the least
> power consumption. I will also be using temperature controlled fans to
> keep it real quiet and any other ways I can find to drop down power
> and noise.

Drop noise:
* suspend the disk drive with rubber bands
* carefully design the air path inside the case

--
NH