Up to now VDR has used names like 001.vdr for its recording files.
While moving to Transport Stream as the recording format, I need to
use a different file name extension, and so was wondering which one
to use. My first idea was *.ts, for "Transport Stream", but when I
point, for instance, Konqueror to such a file, it thinks it is a
"Qt Translation Source". So I was wondering if I should use *.mpg
instead. This one is identified by Konqueror as an MPEG file and
will make it launch a proper player.

What do you think about this?
Is *.mpg also appropriate for h.264 encoded files?

Klaus