Hello

Am Samstag, 2. Mai 2009 schrieb Seppo Ingalsuo:
> scott wrote:
> > How did you get the smooth scrolling, mine is jerky?
>
> With latest nvidia drivers I had to disable EDID entirely to avoid
> getting always 1080p60 backend resolution for all modes. Here's my
> xorg.conf suitable for a full-HD Sony. Some smarter ways to do this
> would be nice.

I wanted my HTPC to boot into X11 without the need to turn on the LCD-TV. When
the TV is powered on later the X11 resolution should be like when booted with
TV powered on. This is my solution:

1. Enable verbose logging of Xorg with the -logverbose 6 option. (I edited
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc)

2. Start X with TV powered on to create a Xorg.0.log with the new logging
level.

3. use the nvidia-xconfig utility to extract the TV's EDID data from the log
file.
   $ nvidia-xconfig -E /var/log/Xorg.0.log \
        --extract-edids-output-file=edid.bin \
        --output-xconfig=/tmp/xorg.conf

   The --output-xconfig is to not overwrite the normal /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

4. copy the created edid.bin file to some 'system place'. I copied into
   /etc/X11/edid.bin.

5. Then I use the following xorg.conf to boot with the TV powered off:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NVIDIA GeForce 9300"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option          "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
        Option          "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
        Option          "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
EndSection

When X is starting without the TV set turned on the driver uses the captured
edit.bin file and selects the correct resolution.

I didn't test yet whether the custom edid is not used if some other display
device is connected and the driver can get live edid data.

I found the pointer to this solution in the easy-vdr forum.

Regards
Dieter

--
Dieter Hametner                    dh (plus) vdr (at) gekrumbel (dot) de
live plugin developer              http://live.vdr-developer.org