On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Morfsta<morf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM, VDR User<user....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I should note that even though I did give it a try, I never intended
>> to replace VDR with it regardless of the test results.  I am a VDR
>> loyalist. :)
>
> I too have tried Myth on a number of occasions and have found it
> unwieldy and slow, not sure why its so popular, perhaps because of the
> flashier interface.

That's definitely is a part of it.  I know former VDR users who
switched to myth for that very reason.  Now that VDR has support for
hdtv, it's finally getting an osd overhaul as well (maybe coming in
1.7.9?), which will be 24bit iirc.  We'll finally be able to have a
high color/high resolution osd as well, which I'm hoping will spawn
peoples interest in making some really great skins and so on.  Most tv
stations it seems offer their logos in high color/high res as well.  I
know Klaus prefers to focus more on stability then things like candy
enhancements but I think he realized this is something users really
wanted to see implemented now that hdtv support is present.  And with
so many users investing in things like inexpensive vdpau-supported
video cards over overly expensive 'full featured' dedicated cards,
it's a logical enhancement to make to bring VDR up-to-speed visually.

One thing I would like to see in the future is a solid server/client
solution for VDR.  That is the other and probably biggest reason users
have abandoned VDR in favor of myth.  Yes there are things like
streamdev or xbmc+vdr, etc..  But those options are either too limited
or too much hassle.  It would be great if we could just set one
software (VDR) up and keep things lean.  I don't think this is
something we'll see any time soon, if at all.  But then a lot of
people said the same thing about support for hdtv and an awesome osd.
:)

Cheers,
Derek