I've been following various threads over the past year or so exploring
various options for having a server-client vdr setup and it got me
thinking.

I'm currently using a home-brew LIRC receiver attached to a serial port
which works perfectly. The ION-based boards look very nice as a vdr front
end (using xinelibout or some yet-to-be-written plugin!) because they can
do hardware HD decoding. However, I suspect a lot of these lack a serial
port so my simple LIRC receiver would be no good.

What are others doing in this sort of situation? USB-based receiver (there
are a couple described at lirc.org), or do most of the ION boards still
have a serial header (must admit, not looked into this properly yet!)?

Several DVB devices do contain receivers but that pretty much defeats the
object of having a server containing DVB devices and a client just for
viewing.

It all looks nice in principle but any lack of a remote is a deal breaker!

Cheers,

Laz