Hi,

most motherboards have serial header on board. I've used Atric IR-Einschalter on one HTPC and I can really recommend it http://www.atric.de/IR-Einschalter/index.php

On another HTPC I've used USB remote that was bundled with the case (MS-Tech MC-1200) and the problem was that the device was detected as HID device and some keys generated combined events like Shift+3, Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R and so on. I wasn't able to configure LIRC to understand it so in the end I wrote a small application to remap these combinations to single events.

Michal

On 01/25/2011 11:45 AM, Magnus H wrote:
Hi. I use the Hauppauge MCE USB remote and think it's really good. Works
with modern kernels or lirc.
http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=425720
/Magnus H

-----Original Message-----
From: vdr-boun...@linuxtv.org [mailto:vdr-boun...@linuxtv.org] On Behalf Of
Laz
Sent: den 25 januari 2011 10:53
To: VDR list
Subject: [vdr] Remote receiver options...

I've been following various threads over the past year or so exploring
various options for having a server-client vdr setup and it got me
thinking.

I'm currently using a home-brew LIRC receiver attached to a serial port
which works perfectly. The ION-based boards look very nice as a vdr front
end (using xinelibout or some yet-to-be-written plugin!) because they can
do hardware HD decoding. However, I suspect a lot of these lack a serial
port so my simple LIRC receiver would be no good.

What are others doing in this sort of situation? USB-based receiver (there
are a couple described at lirc.org), or do most of the ION boards still
have a serial header (must admit, not looked into this properly yet!)?

Several DVB devices do contain receivers but that pretty much defeats the
object of having a server containing DVB devices and a client just for
viewing.

It all looks nice in principle but any lack of a remote is a deal breaker!

Cheers,

Laz