MCE usb remote is a good choice or you could build your own very
easily using an FTDI component and an IR receiver.  In either case it
will cost you about $25 or less.

Btw, I actually use a couple ION boxes for VDR.  I don't use a
server/client setup however because from what I understand it just
isn't mature enough.  I would like full independent osd's on each
client, epg is populated by server and shared with clients, and good
handling of timers.  And I don't want to have to run a bunch of
plugins or extra junk to make it work.  If I wanted a slapped together
solution out of whatever was laying around, I'd just run mythtv but
that's not what I'm looking for.

Come to think of it, I wonder how the new OSD system will factor into
having multiple clients, or if that aspect is being considered at all.
 Probably not.  But that's talk for another thread anyways I think.