On 28/10/11 14:14, George wrote:
> Then I discovered Veusz and basically realized that this is what I
> was envisioning when I started working on my GUI. The only issue
> which I am having with it is that I cannot get the text (for example
> axes labels) to have true Latex look. I chose cmr10 font (which I
> assume means Computer Modern Roman, which is what Latex uses by
> default, However if I type \mu as a axis label, that \mu does not
> appear to be the same as in Latex. So I'm wondering whether I am
> doing something wrong, or whether the text rendering in Veusz is not
> really done by Latex, although the syntax is Latex-like? Is there
> currently any way to make the text in a Veusz plot to look exactly
> the same as the text in a Latex document?

Ben is correct that Veusz's text output just tries to emulate latex's syntax. It doesn't use latex, its layout algorithms or fonts.

Whether Veusz could do a better job is another matter, it could interpret $$ signs as equations, and italicise text within them and try to get the spacing a bit better.

Alternatively, perhaps it would be possible to use latex directly, like this http://pav.iki.fi/software/textext/ You'd need a latex system and some translation, however. I don't think it would be the default because of the dependencies (unless someone has a small embedded latex unless I am aware of).

An alternative may be to translate something like this to Qt:
http://www.mathjax.org/
It looks very similar to latex and may be close enough.

Jeremy