From: Michael Bliss <flyfish...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VFB] Tiny Fly Question
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 1:48 PM

One of the things that Tony said was what I would say - pinch the barb down.
Next get the right size bead for the hook.  Glass is not as flexible but I have
found that they are not consistent with the sizes.  You can try several and
some will work and some won't.  Tony's idea of bending the hook is interesting
but I would worry about that causing metal fatigue.  Someone smarter might be
able to answer that.

Mike

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Chuck Alexander <chuckalexan...@hughes.net>
wrote:

OK all you tiny fly tying experts LOL.. I am
stumped with a problem.. I took the advice of tying a bigger fly, then working
my way down in hook sizes till I get to where I want. Problem is, I'm tying (or
TRYING) my Pink Panfish Producer, and I'm down to a size 20. Problem is, the
gold  bead for the head. The ones I have are either too small to go around
the sharp bend in the hook, or they are too big, and they either fall right off
the eye end of the fly, or get stuck, with the eye buried halfway inside the
bead. I have tried the beads front wards, backwards and sideways. Is there a
secret to this??? Should I just make the "gold=bead head" out of gold tying
thread, or tiny tinsel?? Or do you just not tie flies this small with a bead
head on them?? Thanks for ANY help, Chuck

Mike Bliss
Aloha from Hawaii