Hi Mike,

I've had that same experience at the gold medal waters of the Fryingpan
River in Colorado.  There is a hugely popular run just below the outlet of
Ruedi Dam.  The fish feed on mysis shrimp being washed out of the reservoir,
and that diet makes for healthy and brilliantly colored rainbows..

I even caught a 19" brook trout there that lit up like a Christmas tree.

Some of those fish have been caught so many times, they just waddle over to
you and hang around until you take the hook out.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon