From: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:vfb-mail@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Peggy Brenner
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:28 PM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [VFB] Storage & organization of materials

The entire organization just takes time, and that get's in short supply when
you take part in shows, swaps and teaching, oh and a job.

I feel that September 1, when I am retired I'll reorganize as well.  I
started with plastic shoe boxes and a excel workbook.  but I have 5 years of
new additions.  There are bar code readers out there, but most of the
materials are not in the data base that supports them.

Our first 2 months are going to be fishing in northern NH and Maine our of a
Winnebago.  Then South and west for the winter and spring.

Peggy

On 7/21/2014 1:26 PM, Neville Gosling wrote:
> Hmmmh!  I thought that  had a storage/organization problem but Don O has
an even bigger problem after seeing his tying room.

> Seriously, I am looking for idea's from the list. As a result of buying a
friends fly tying materials, I do have some duplication, but I need to
organize the whole lot to find the duplicates. One thing that I need to make
is a stand with dowels to hold my Norvise spools - probably 3 or 4 vertical
dowels attached to a base for the different thread sizes. I saw a rather
nice one in a pic somewhere but I don't know where.  I will have to redo my
Excel spreadsheet as I forget to add new purchases and categorize them. I
have somewhat reluctantly decided to add the results of many fly swaps to my
fly boxes and to use the flies as I have too many boxes of swap flies. I
will retain those special ones that I would like to copy.
> I am currently going through several hundred flies and sorting them into
categories such as leeches, cutthroat flies, steelhead inc tubes &
waddingtons, trout nymphs, dries, stoneflies etc.  Some of them were ties
years ago.

> There has to be a better way than mine.
>
> Neville (Nev) Gosling
> Greater Vancouver
> BC  Canada
>

> On Jul 21, 2014, at 6:59 AM, Don Ordes <f...@tribcsp.com> wrote:
>
>> I too tie flies for the gamut of fishing, the the giant Fantasy Flies for
sale, and then a lot of show flies just for the fun of it.  I HAD everything
organized, then I had to box it all up to move. I figure by next spring I
should have it sorted out and organized again.

--
Peggy Brenner
President IWFF

"VFB Mail" group.