Just a note:  I had some time last fall to spend a couple days at the
Spirit River plant and warehouses in Glide, Oregon.

The Spirit River dyeing plant is overseen by the EPA, as their dyeing
process uses chemicals that are not available to most people.

Every step is monitored by the EPA.  We are talking hazardous stuff here.
That's why it is so hard for the every day fly tier to get dependable
results that match the store-bought dyed products.

What was amazing is the quantity of feathers they go through to maintain
stock.  The most difficult thing is to match the colors in the official
company color charts.

I came home with two gallon volume worth of mis-dyed marabou in all sorts
of colors.  Literally stuff put into the waste bin from the tying room
operation because it did not match the color on the quality control patches.

 Dyeing results and colors will differ according to how much oil the
material has in its feathers or fur, the age of the pelt, or what portion
of the hide (back, belly, side) is being used to dye.  All these variables
is why most fly tiers do not get consistent results while dyeing.

Wes