I tried the "Movie to iPod" export setting in the new QuickTime but
found the resulting file, although gorgeous in quality, was too
large to be practical.

So, based on Mike Verdi's 3ivx specs I've been using for a while, I
did some experimenting with an eight-minute vid from Crash Test
Kitchen.

I came up with H.264 specs that produce a slightly larger file (14.5
meg, compared with about 13.8 for 3ivx). The H.264 version supported
a 50% higher bitrate than 3ivx; and a framerate of 24 compared with
12 for 3ivx. It is definitely more watchable than the 3ivx version.
It's still a .mov file of 320 x 240, which I understand should be
playable on a video iPod.

Anyway, here are the specs:
Export -> Movie to QuickTime Movie
Settings:
Frame Rate, 24
Key Frames, automatic
Frame Reordering, box ticked
Quality, high
Encoding, best quality (multi pass)
Data rate, restrict to 225 kilobits/second (roughly 28 kilobytes/sec)
Optimized for download
Sound settings:
Format, AAC
Channels, mono