Monday, October 24, 2005, 8:40:02 AM, Verdi wrote:
> I compressed some files to compare.  Windows Movie Maker didn't give
> me many options so I went with the 768kbps, 320 X 240 30fps preset.
> Windows Media Player says it's 705kbps when it's playing back which
> pretty much meshes with the math (it's 1.3MB).
> This file is <URL: http://michaelverdi.com/codec/wmv.wmv >

OK, I can see where you are coming from, but I have a few comments
from the other side of the fence.

First, Windows Movie Maker doesn't give much control over this stuff,
so (as recommended a few times here before) I strongly suggest you
download a free copy of Windows Media Encoder.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

It gives all the flexibility anyone could want in creating Windows
Media files.

Second, While I can see that the examples you chose seem to give
equivalent quality, they are all at much higher bit rates (and thus
larger sizes) than I would normally use for my WMV files.

1.5MB for 15 seconds works out at about 6MB/minute. I much prefer my
WMVs to be more like 2MB/minute.

To that end I have re-encoded your source AVI at 256kbps and 384kbps
(more common WMV bitrates) for comparison. To me there seems little by
way of difference in quality between these and your much larger files,
but I'm certainly not a video quality expert.

http://www.makevideo.org.uk/direct/source-256.wmv (552KB)
http://www.makevideo.org.uk/direct/source-384.wmv (775KB)

Both are 320x240 15fps and use Windows Media 9 audio and video codecs

Can anyone match their size with your Quicktime skills and software so
we can compare quality at these rates? I know so little about
producing Quicktime files that I have so far been unable to do so
myself.

--
Frank Carver   http://www.makevideo.org.uk