I'm not sure how this topic got so confused ... :-P

The question asked was NOT "how can I get detailed viewer stats that
have enough data I could use it when talking to
marketing/sponsorship/advertisemnt/etc people" ... the question was
simply "has anyone figured out a way to get feedburner like subscriber
estimations without using feedburner" ... and I have ... so I replied.
 That was the sole question I tried to answer.  "yes I have made a
system that estimates subscribers similar to how I imagine feedburner
does it" (maybe better :-P)

I didnt even try to answer any other questions about how to track
viewers/hits/downloads etc to such a level that sponsors or
advertisers would like to see.  I never claimed to be able to provide
those stats in any 'report'.  It was a question about subsrciber
estimates ala feedburner ... and that the only thing I said I could
provide.

Somewhere it jumped topics ... a which point I only meant to say that
a simple estimation of subscribers (not some detailed market data
report) ... does not require knowledge of how many times a file was
actually viewed, and that with some decent logic built in can minimize
the effects of NAT'd IPs in the calculations.  No you can't get a
perfect number ... but you cna get close. (and again, the question was
about subscriber estimates ala feedburner ... if you already know
thats not what you're looking for, than any similar solution is again
... not going to be what your looking for)

Most vloggers are not looking (yet) for market data they can show to
advertisers or sponsors ... and I dont think thats what the question
that started this was asking for.

Now, if you want that Andrew, then yes I totally agree with you that a
simple subscriber estimation isn't going to cut the mustard and would
be misleading ... but not everyone is rocketboom.  :-P  Some of us
still get a nice warm fuzzy feeling for servicing our 15 viewers, and
are happy to have rough estimation for our own use.

pinging a server on a view is an interesting idea, but again ...
viewers != subscribers.

- Dave
http://www.davidmeade.com