> It's breaking the rules! Sure, old media might have guidelines about how
> to conduct an interview or ask questions, but does new media have to?
>
> My friend once did an interview with the vocalist from the band Plaid
> Retina, it consisted of one question, and then ended. The question was:
> "Why do you sing like a girl?"

Rules of common courtesy and good judgment are older than old media. Leading
off with an entirely irrelevant and possibly antagonistic question and
expecting to get the attention and respect you want isn't a relationship
building strategy. You become know as the asshole with the camera instead of
someone worth talking to. If you expect people to talk to you openly, you're
expecting that person to trust you on some level. Trust for most people
means not portraying them in a bad light. I'm referring to all people here,
not just famous ones.

If the new media "rules" are about showing disrespect and acting without
consideration for the feelings and opinions of others, new media will be
quickly marginalized like the circus side show that is reality television.

Jake Ludington

http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com
http://www.jakeludington.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM