Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 3:00:58 PM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> podcast is utterly the worst word that could have ever come out of
> audioblogging and now videoblogging.  i absolutely despise it.  why?
> because any term that references a specific product from a specific company
> that is in no way exclsuive to what it is.... is wrong and confusing.

Maybe I'm being naive here. Or maybe it's a British vs American
cultural thing, but to me the name "podcast" has already transcended
the name iPod. And I never felt particularly that podcast implied
iPod.

The way I have always looked at it was that Apple decided to co-opt
the existing, but bland, word "pod", and use it to coin a new, simple
term for the more clumsy but popular "MP3 Player". They particularly
needed to do this, otherwise the ability of their player to play MP3
files would be seen as it's major purpose, rather than Apple's aim of
playing their own DRM format.

So the community wins. We now have a new, simple, pronounceable word
"pod" that describes a portable media player without reference to any
format, medium or manufacturer. Hurrah!

Best of all, the community is free to invent new words to describe
things such as the process of subscribing and distributing media for
such a player: "podcasting".

Now, Apple (for whatever reason) like the prefix "i". So _their_ media
player is called iPod. In the same way that their notebook computer is
called iBook.

I don't know what it's like where anyone else lives, but around here
the overwhelmingly popular name for a media player is still "MP3
player". That's what seven-year-olds ask for for their birthdays.
Apple's iPod range are just seen as (expensive and pretentious)
examples among many.

Bottom line, I'm happy to use "podcasting" and "podcast", and to
distinguish as appropriate where medium or format is an issue :- MP3
podcasting, Quicktime video podcast, PDF podcast, or whatever. In most
cases though, it's much simpler and just as understandable to just say
"podcast".

>> To simply add 'video' to podcast becomes a very simple
>> way to extend what people already know.

> wrong.. most people  know podcasts as being internet radio... audio!  so, in
> essence, your saying adding video makes sense to prelude an audio term.
> video radio anyone?

Umm. Wasn't the word "video" itself merely some sort of contraction of
vision and radio ?

--
Frank Carver   http://www.makevideo.org.uk

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM