Yes, I see the future as untethered where our knowledge, interaction
and work follows our activity.  A scenario of this:  We can be at home
in the business room working on a product, paying bills, and notice a
interesting vlog episode.  Mark that vlog episode to take along -- it
goes onto a portable device along with work objects to be completed
tagged to take with us.  We take the portable device and call a friend
through it that we're meeting at a cafe saying we're on our way.  On
the way we listen to a podcast on an technical subject we want to
understand.  We get to the cafe early and enjoy watching, linking from
and commenting on vlogs until our friend arrives.

  -- Enric
  -======-
  http://www.cirne.com
  Determine Media

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Mike Meiser
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/24/05, Enric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think Tivo is Television.  Classical television cannot not be
> > automaticaly stored, retrieved, scanned and viewed out of order (this
> > can be manually performmed with programming recorders -- but just
> > about anything can be put into a manual process.)  So I think this is
> > an intermediate medium to Blogging.  I'd call it a Tivo medium with
> > the iPod containing similar capacity.  It lacks the full two way
> > interaction of Blogs, but contains the automatic storage, scanning and
> > retrieval capability.
>

> Actually...  I've found that playing back video blogs on the TV can
be quite
> the two way experience. Now, I'm using my iPod, BUT I suppose a Tivo
might
> work just as well. What makes it work is having a parrellel queue... a
> landing page where by you can follow along as you wish. Also a
remote for
> your ipod or tivo comes in handy, of course for skipping, pausing,
> restarting or rewinding. Here's an example workflow we set up with
> mefeedia... First mefeedia automatically creates for you a web based
> browseable queue as it has from the start... but now it also
provides for
> you a single personal RSS feed that directly parrallels that queue.
The RSS
> feed hence goes to your Fireant, iTunes/ipod  or perhaps in the
future tivo
> or Akimbo as they start to better support vlogs... Basically you can
> instantly pull up your watch page on your laptop and jump to any
post your
> watching on TV. Since the order of video playback and videos in your
queue
> roughly correspond it's easy to follow along..  That said... I don't
> normally follow along for EVERY vlog post... In fact I mostly
"passively"
> watch video... then when something catches my interest I jump to my
queue
> and follow up on it by tagging it, favoriting it for future reference or
> commenting... of course there are other options like re-vlogging,
but you
> get the idea.
>
> Case in point the other day I was watching all manner of G4Tech TV and
> rocketboom and mobuzz and Steve Garfields vlog soup came on... In it
were
> perhaps 8 new vlogs, 3 of which based on steve's review I found VERY
> interesting. While it played I pulled up mefeedia did quick quiries
based on
> the vlog names from steve, browsed and previewed them and added them
to my
> video queue. All simultaneously while videos continued to play,
except for a
> brief period where I had to rewind a little to catch the spelling on
one of
> the vlog names.
>
> Now this is not saying this will work for everyone... However I find
that
> the passive TV experience and the active experience of using a
laptop is a
> very powerful combination... not nearly so interactive as one might
think...
> but it does depend on some sort of easy to get at landing page with
which
> you can follow along, the laptop or a computer set up withing viewing
> proximity of TV, and some sort of RSS capable device. t's just one of
> thousands of "workflow scenarios".  Workflow scenarios are my thing
I guess
> these day... I find it extremely interesting the way vloggers watch
vlogs...
> do they use mefeedia, ant, itunes, the ipod....  do they watch
online, or
> offline, how often do they comment, tag, revlog, favorite... what other
> "actions" do they like to perform while vlogging? Everyone's
experience is
> completely different and they're all VERY legitimat... This is
exactly why I
> hate streaming media, DRM. and other closed systems... they
fundamentally
> endoctrinate workflows that are wholey incompatible with some of the
> tremendous ways we can use media... it's not just that you HAVE to watch
> google's videos in the web browser experience only.... but that you
can't
> create a playlist, you can't comment, you can't play it offline...
you can't
> put it on your tivo... you can't format shift it so it'll work on
linux, or
> the PSP. In fact that's a good point... in order to simply play a DVD on
> linux you STILL have to install software that breaks the law. This
is not
> about the copyright holders rights or law... it's the reality of media.
>
> Mark my words the future of media is open and portable... because the
> benifits to media being "sociable" are just to great and problems of
such
> "technological controls" and even "technological implimentation of
law" are
> to high. I may bave said all this before... but DRM may exist in the
corners
> of the network... but the CENTER of the network, and indeed the vast
> majority of it will be open, because well you can't be the center of
crap if
> you're a walled garden.
>
> So, this is how little things are affected by BIG issues.... It's
that this
> media is open that gives us the accessibility to create usable
experiences
> like this one simple workflow I've talked about. That said there are two
> things that I see that need improving.
>
> 1) someone needs to create a plugin for iTunes using their API that
> automatically rips all non-drm podcast videos to mp4's and deletes the
> original... while retaining all meta information. I think FireAnt is
also
> working on such functionality for use with the ipod and PSP... And
indeed
> that's a great way to handle format incompatibilities... but there are
> others too... which I'm not going to get into because I'd have to
kill you
> all. ;)  LOL!
>
> 2) we need more portable media playback devices that are network
connected
> like the tivo, the akimbo... the PSP has the potential but is not
there yet.
> And then there's the fabled "networked ipod".  These devices will
aggregate
> videos directly using RSS without the need to sync with a
computer... using

http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vlog/archives/2005/12/24/tv-killed-voggings-star/

> > > When I say embedded video gives the best reading experience for web
> > video,
> > > I am talking about videoblogging. A blog entry is *not* the frames
> > that
> > > make up the video. It is also the surrounding blog post, the
> > comments, the
> > > title, the sidebar, the entire network around it (inbound and
outbound
> > > links). That is what makes blogging different from old media.
When you
> > > take the video and move it to an iPod it may be the same frames, but
> > it is
> > > not the same Work - it is the same video, but a new media and
> > different
> > > content.
> > >
> > > I make videoblogging, and my personaly interest is videoblogging.
> > Content
> > > that works well in a videoblogging setting is different from content
> > that
> > > works well in a video podcasting setting. Just as there is content
> > which
> > > works better on tv than in radio (a boxing match comes to mind).
> > Thinking
> > > they're the same is naive.
> > >
> > > - Andreas
> > >
> > > PS. Did evilvlog begin censoring itself?

quickly
if I

subscription....not gone

> > won't go
> > images)
> > context.

> > once I

> > > --
> > > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
> > > Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.
> > >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Most low income homes are not online. Make a difference this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5UeCyC/BWHMAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM