On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:17:13 +0100, Mike Meiser
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/24/05, Enric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think Tivo is Television.  Classical television cannot not be
>> automaticaly stored, retrieved, scanned and viewed out of order (this
>> can be manually performmed with programming recorders -- but just
>> about anything can be put into a manual process.)  So I think this is
>> an intermediate medium to Blogging.  I'd call it a Tivo medium with
>> the iPod containing similar capacity.  It lacks the full two way
>> interaction of Blogs, but contains the automatic storage, scanning and
>> retrieval capability.

In this case you can look at three kinds of interactivity.

  - Transmission. Viewer selects from preprogrammed flow of content. The
way tv works. Not really much interactivity, but hey.
  - Consultation. Viewer selects from a pool of content. Video on-demand,
Tivo, iPod. Web reading works by consultation also, but it's different
 from video on-demand (see below).
  - Conversation. Viewer can add content to the pool of content (affecting
the viewing situation for others). Integrated on blogs. Not present in
video on-demand.

That's a simplified view on interactivity. In reality I subscribe to a
variation where there is a fourth type (registration) and they're ordered
in a cube with a total of 12 different types. But this is enough for my
point here. No, I didn't think up the cube model, but I wish I did.

Blogs and video on-demand are both forms of consultative interactivity.
There is a pool of content and the reader picks which ones to watch and in
which order to read them. But they are different nevertheless. In video
on-demand situations the individual pieces are not seen as being part of a
whole. They are individual blocks - you pick something to watch, you watch
it and then you pick something else to watch (or you create a playlist
ahead of time). The typical situation is an iPod or a DVD (menu: movie &
extra material).

On the blog the pieces are a part of a network. The pieces don't live on
their own, but largely in their connections with other pieces. You can
read a piece and go further into the network by following connections from
that piece to the next creating your own little 'path' through the
blogosphere. This is less apparent in videoblogs than in blogs partly
because links in video are harder to do, partly because videobloggers
don't link as much (they are linking a whole lot more than they used to!).
It is a very different reading situation, and the meaning created if very
different from that of the video on-demand system.

Add the fact that conversational interactivity is integrated into the
blogs and the whole thing blows up in your face. Now you are a participant
on equal terms with anyone else. You can recontexualise any other piece by
creating your own piece and making a connection between the two.

And then Michael describes his own setup:

> Actually...  I've found that playing back video blogs on the TV can be
> quite
> the two way experience. Now, I'm using my iPod, BUT I suppose a Tivo
> might
> work just as well. What makes it work is having a parrellel queue... a
> landing page where by you can follow along as you wish. Also a remote for
> your ipod or tivo comes in handy, of course for skipping, pausing,
> restarting or rewinding. Here's an example workflow we set up with
> mefeedia... First mefeedia automatically creates for you a web based
> browseable queue as it has from the start... but now it also provides for
> you a single personal RSS feed that directly parrallels that queue. The
> RSS
> feed hence goes to your Fireant, iTunes/ipod  or perhaps in the future
> tivo
> or Akimbo as they start to better support vlogs... Basically you can
> instantly pull up your watch page on your laptop and jump to any post
> your
> watching on TV.
[SNIP a bunch - you know how it is, Michael :o)]

What you're describing here is not a video podcasting system (not how I
describe video podcasting above). It behaves more like a blog-system than
a video on-demand system. Like setting up a second monitor on your
computer.
You are one-step removed from the blog in much the same way that you are
one-step removed from a blog entry when you read blogs through a feed
reader. The big difference being that you loose anything *not* in the
video file itself such as additional text with links and explanations.
That's a big drawback in my book, but if that's how you watch, that's how
you watch. It's sort of a mix between the blog and the video on-demand
system where you get the disconnect from the on-demand system while
retaining the potential of the blog's activity (the potential, it's not
actually there while you watch).

What I don't get is why you just don't watch the video in a seperate
window on the computer?

- Andreas
--

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM