great reply, michael.

we've been talking about flash video over on vlogtheory.... and the issues of it being closed right now... as per th epoints you made here....

only recently.... mostly since vsocial came about.... i started to change my tune and stopped pissing on flash.  so despite all these negatives that I, you and others have pointed out about flash video.... i still see that it has a place in the vlogosphere, as one part of the total use of Internet -based video infrastructure.

it makes sense to use flash video for what it is currently meant to be used for.... while concurrently using other formats, pref quicktime compatible formats, for distributing to local computers and mobile devices where it can be played, remixed, edited, repurposed, redistributed etc.

If I were an organized videoblogger, which i'm currently not (i'm evil like that), and i launched a new vlog and seeked an audience..... I would make my video content available in flash for the web-side (blog) as primary playback format.... my vodcast channels would have format filters for each relevent device.... video iPod (mp4,m4v), 3gp, divx, TiVo, PSP, XBOX and flv.
FLV would hook into a slick and robust flash playback engine with all sorts of interactive features with a skin branded to my project.  It would work with XML as its playlist and configuration control so it can easily be dynamc and customizable.  This flash player would reside on my videoblog... a user could choose to just watch my videos in it, or browse my actual vlog posts like is done today. But the videoblog playlist will offer an easy and entertaining experience to watch the VIDEO which is the core content.  Within each video, could easily jump to the vlog permalink etc...
It can all be connected... even comments can be made within the flash player, and appear in the vlog post as usual.... connected.

So, my vision is a balanced use of all technologies.  It always comes down to balance for me.
We can debate the good, bad and ugly of all the technology that floats around in the vlogosphere but at the end of the day, it is best to take what works, and make it work for you in creative ways.
It doesnt even mandate much effort as we'll see services like vsocial continue to innovate in this area.  If you are technically inclined, you can build all of what i talk about yourself.  Either way, you would be using the best variety to bring your video content to an audience, wherever and whoever that audience is made up of.

It's about taking a format and juicing it for all its worth to you.

If this didnt have some truth to it, mefeedia wouldnt be pulling in and working with services that are focused on using flash.

Anyone interested in what flash can do for a video content creator, please visit VSocial.com

sull