It's absolutely a good idea to make your own music, or find/buy
royalty-free podsafe music. If you do anything else, you're taking
a risk. But also keep in mind, the boundaries of Fair Use have not
been fully tested in court. I sometimes choose to take the risk
on my non-commercial personal vlog, crediting the artist, rather
than inhibit my creativity. No cease-and-desists, so far.

The perfect example of a potentially legitimate use of copyrighted
music is Zadi's "When September Ends" video, which was written
about in the NY Times Critic's Notebook:

http://smashface.com/vlog/20050924nytimes.html

Then of course there's my "Welcome to the Future" video
which deals with this whole clash between copyright and our
desire to capture, share, remix:

http://blogumentary.typepad.com/vlog/2005/03/videoblog_week__2.html

Keep in mind Zadi and I could hear from record company lawyers.
Maybe we could get the EFF to defend, but more likely it's
easier to simply remove the video. Worst case scenario would be
having to pay a fine, if the RIAA charges we're illiegally distributing
music. That would suck.

-chuck
http://mnstories.com