Kitka wrote:
> Thanks Paul, I agree with you too.  In the media world, there IS such
> a thing as a "cease and desist".  I was talking with someone from the
> CBC the other day (more about this subject at a later date) and he
> told me about how someone was compiling a Top 100 songs list for a
> major network.... he said that they got a cease and desist order from
> Leonard Cohen (or some boring musician like that) and they couldn't
> use him in the FLATTERING Top 100 show they were making.

Makes perfect sense to me. If Leonard Cohen wants to control how his
work is used, he should have that choice. Whether the show was
flattering or critical doesn't matter. Others may see this differently,
but it's ultimately about artists being able to control how their work
is used.

> Similarly, videobloggers aren't going to instantly get sued for using
> copywritten music/content... they will get a cease and desist order
> and if they do not comply, they will then be fined or get a court order.

I think it is incorrect to say 'copywritten' as a work you create has
your copyright assigned to it. How you choose that work to be used is
different from this. The music I can get from Magnatune still has a
copyright held by the artist, but the *license* allows me to use it in
certain ways.

> That said, stop worrying so much about it.  As long as we all know the
> consequences, we can remove certain files from the Internet if they
> are problematic.  I mean, it's not like you can just call up U2 and
> ask if you can use their music!

Well, some of us are big believers in things like Creative Commons,
which allow an artist to easily specify how their work can be used. U2
is a lost cause, they don't even have the rights to their music. (Look
up Negativland for more on that one!) The hope is that from this point
on, artists will realize they *can* have control of their art, and how
it is used, and in 10 years, or 20, or whatever, the world of "what you
can legally/safely use" is quite different. It's already happening, but
we can help make it happen.

> Personally, I wouldn't use copyrighted material if I were making money
> off of it, but if it's all in good fun, I think it's fair to use it.
> (I don't see many people complaining about the use of the Brokeback
> Mountain song with all the homages like "Brokeback to the Future", etc.!)

Again, it *is* ok to use "copyrighted" material, as long as you have the
rights to do so. Getting those right can sometimes prove difficult. (See
above.) Of course there is the issue of "what is commercial" as well.
Are you making money from ads on your site? Affiliate programs? PayPal
donation links? Who decides what "making money" consists of? (The courts?)

As for complaining about people using the music from Brokeback mountain
without permission (unless it's "fair use" ala parody, etc.)  just point
me at them, and I'll complain! ;)

The reason I think all of this stuff is important is that I want to see
videoblogging grow and grow, and pretty much explode, and I want to see
it done without violating the rights of artists. I want to see it done
in a way that steps around all that is wrong with the RIAA and MPAA and
those that would see us crushed beneath their wheels

(Whew, rant mode off...)

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/