Really interesting.  And not just related to music.   Online video
content is getting seriously locked up with DRM, and exactly the same
argument applies:

Steve Jobs: "The third alternative is to abolish DRMs entirely... and
Apple would embrace it in a heartbeat. If the big four music
companies would license Apple their music without the requirement
that it be protected with a DRM, we would switch to selling only DRM-
free music on our iTunes store. Every iPod ever made will play this
DRM-free music.

Why would the big four music companies agree to let Apple and others
distribute their music without using DRM systems to protect it? The
simplest answer is because DRMs haven’t worked, and may never work,
to halt music piracy... these same music companies continue to sell
billions of CDs a year which contain completely unprotected music."

I have ripped many of my DVDs to my Mac and iPod, and TV is taped and
digitised and YouTubed.  Trying to DRM content sold legally on online
stores is pointless, expensive and even counterproductive.  As I
banged on about a couple of weeks ago, the BBC is obsessed with DRM,
as so many broadcasters are - they just don't Get It, and yet they
could be leading the way since they're uncommercial.

They're limiting the growth of the technology and marketplace in
pursuit of an expensive lost cause.  The assumption is No DRM =
Unlimited Piracy = No Revenues & Problems with the Regulator.
There's a whole lot of politics here, but what annoys me most is that
DRM limits the choices of companies like Apple and the BBC in
developing their technologies and content, when could really take
things forward in a progressive way.

We need to put pressure on the advocates of DRM to educate them -
they have 20th century mindsets and are afraid of the internet.  But
who do we persuade and how do we do it?  Jobs must have tried to
persuade the music companies' managements personally, and I would
guess he's done it energetically and articulately for years.  And yet
it still hasn't worked.  No wonder he's pissed off - it's Apple who
are getting sued, not the Big 4.  (that's only part of the Story,
though, isn't it?  iTunes aside, Apple have been getting more and
more insular and walled recently, it feels, so perhaps they been
infected with the DRM bug by their music biz partners and need to
take their own advice)