Let me clarify a little.

When this issue was posted here, I wsnted to learn more, I wanted the
question marks to disappear, so I could form my own opinion bout
whether Pat is a troll or whether people have the wrong idea about
wikipedia, or a subtle blend of the 2.

I got plenty of posts from people that suggested some ignorance or
dislike for some of wikipedias main rules, and I got the beginnings of
evidence of Pat's history, but not enough detail. I guess I probably
want to see the same kind of thing that the wiki admins are asking for.

Now Im not disputing that there are quite a lot of people here who
have expressed outrage at whats been happening, but I couldnt say it
is hundreds of people, nor can I judge how much most of them have
studied the details, nor what they understand wikipedia to be.

Now clearly there are some people who have been personally affected,
and so I can esily conclude that Pat has pissed off some people over a
long time period, and they are at the end of their tether and have
resorted to swearing etc. But thats not the same as him abusing
wikipedia with bad intent, and not enough for me to go and stick my
nose into issues about whether he should be barred from wikipedia.

I can empathise with the feeling of the community losing interest when
it comes to details. Theres been a number of times that people have
been up in arms about creative commons violators, and Ive gone off and
done boring research into legal details, posted about it, but there is
no response. This does pose a problem for my love of due process, in
that the majority may have time to get angry and shout about some
issue, but the realities of most peoples lives mean this will not
translate into all these people then engaging with the (usually rather
dull and complex) long-term solution.

This who issue was certainly not helped by the fact that some people
seem to have a problm with wikipedias policies, are calling for the
rejection of wikipedia in general, yet still want to enforce their
will by using wikipedias processes.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oh come off it! As far as Im concerned you've dug your own hole by not
> making your case properly. Why havent you provided the info the
> wikipedia admins asked for? Im glad that attempts to harness the mob
> without careful consideration and better, less emotional, stating of
> your case, have failed.
>
> The more this ranting continues, the less convinced I am that Pat was
> in the wrong on this.
>
> Some of the discussions on the wikipedia page about Pat being banned
> made me ashamed. Claims that hundreds of people here are up in arms
> over the thing, its just not true. Sure there have been lots of emails
> in the group about this, but a lot of them are insult-based and from
> the same core of people.
>
> Three cheers for due process and down with the rule of the mob.
>
> Steve Elbows
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Meiser"
> <groups-yahoo-com@> wrote:
> >
> > PEOPLE!
> >
> > I'm sort of furious. I cannot hide it. Only ONE person... Michael
> Verdi has
> > responded,, voted, cited any reason for patrik needing to be banned or
> > otherwise rebuked for his abuse of the delete button on the wikipedia
> > vlogging article.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2le5bn
> >
> > This is just typical B.S. and I cannot hide my frustration any longer.
> >
> > I mine as well have not even bothered to waste my time posting this
> vote.
> >
> > It will be OVER in less than 24 hours... not because there's some
> deadline
> > but because only one of you has bothered to respond.
> >
> > What's more you're GIVING PAT AMMO! AND giving him a history to
> which he can
> > refer when he continues to delete all your future contributions!!
> >
> > "it's OK... see because the admins said soo!"
> >
> > That's is to paraphrase exactly what he's said in this email!
> >
> > 1) Patrick has painted this as a personal dispute between he and
I. He's
> > cited some edits from way back when by me that probably weren't
> worthy of
> > the article to the ignorance of ALL ELSE THAT HAS COME BEFORE AND
SINCE!

> [...]
> directly
> > on the issue... I've spoken to Andreas, Jan, Michael Verdi and
> Jay...  All
> > these people have spend significant time discussing this issue. That
> only
> > one of them, Michael Verdi, took spent a tiny fraction of the time
they
> > spent talking about this issue here... to go and illustrate their
> point for
> > the wikipedia admins is baffling to me.
> >
> > Andreas flat out said he wouldn't vote... that he's "staying out of
> it"....
> > I love andreas... but I think it's B.S. Andreas... I don't care if
> you hate
> > wikipedia and everything it stands for... I understand it... but
> you're in
> > it up to your eyeballs. How many comments and blog posts have you
> made over
> > this issue over the years... you condemn wikipedia as the problem
of not
> > protecting against trolls, but you have failed to ever step up to
> the plate
> > and defend wikipedia from trolls... this is your chance... to not do
> so now
> > is a simple balk.
> >
> > Jan said she needed time to sift through the evidence... fine... Jan I
> > respect you tremendously... but the reality is if you take another
> 24 - 48
> > hours... then it will be over and pat will be emboldened in his
> deletes and
> > you'll never be rid of him. Jan also said this was a case between
> two people
> > she cared about and didn't want to take sides... again jan, it's not
> about
> > sides... you don't have to vote yeah or nay... vote on the evidence...
> > present your own evidence from the previous contributions... I
> cannot give
> > you all the evidence you need... and I shouldn't have to.
> >
> > Jay... I know you want to be the piece keeper... and that you don't
> think
> > pat's a bad guy, but you also know that no matter what pat's
> intentions he's
> > doing tremendous damage to the community by being a self appointed
> > gatekeeper of the community.  He's not only alienated the entire
> community
> > from wikipedia... but the videoblogging article is our chance to
> present a
> > case of what videoblogging is to the world... and for much of the
> past year
> > that has consisted of less than 500 words because noone else has been
> > willing or able to stand up to pdelongchamp and his abuse of the
delete
> > button.
> >
> > You don't HAVE to vote YAY or NAY people... you can vote... "NEEDS
> MORE TIME
> > FOR RESEARCH" (Jan. please at least say this much).... or "IS
THEIR SOME
> > ALTERNATIVE TO A BAN" .... or present evidence from the contributions
> > history... or say "BAN, recommend 1 month"  or two weeks... or even
> 1 day...
> > 1 day would be a largely symbolic move... but even this would be a
HUGE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:MEAT#Advertising_and_soliciting_meatpuppets