--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A couple reasons why other people like to maintain their own site:
> --A blog is an artform in itself. I want to be able to design it
> anyway I want...with all the functionality I want.
>
> I see many vloggers finding the happy medium.
> They upload to Youtube or wherever.....but then archive the videos on
> their own blog that has their own look. Best of both worlds.
>
> Jay

I think Jay stated the essence of the discussion. A blog can be an
artform if done with artistic intent.  I know, I know, it all depends
on what "art" is. But when the video becomes an end in itself, that it
can stand on its own without the support and interaction with the rest
of the media on a website, I just don't see why it should be
considered a "vlog".  It can be an episode in a "show" and aggregated
on any number of services, or it can just be a video. That's fine.

But in this discussion, about why maintain a site rather than just
upload videos, it seems that the other media on a site can be used for
a purpose other than just to hang videos together. They can be
complementary to the videos. And just as important. That's what a
"vlog" is all about.

When I considered coming back to film making after being in another
career for years, I hesitated because of the constraints of working in
arbitrary lengths and linear formats. I am now experimenting with
making a website that explores one subject in depth and variety and
gives the visitor the power to select the content in a non-linear
(non-chronological) format.  I love it.  If this technology existed
years ago I would not have left the field!

I had to forgo blogging software and use a content management system
(Joomla) in order that stories did not get buried in archives but were
part of a menu.

But the website itself is becoming just as important as the video
component.

Stan Hirson
http://hestakaup.com